Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Shadow's Introductions
Part One
(copyright)


Rain.

The spring sits awaiting weeks away. So why does our Mother tease us in such a manner? The white bird in my dreams last night also seemed to be toying with me, flickering about and alighting on my shoulders. I was straining to hear what it was saying but the message eluded me.

Rain, tobacco and coffee. Welcome guests to start a new day with. The incessant clamor in my head is beginning to dominate over the pitter-patter of the gentle rain, insisting I begin making plans for the day that awaits me, heretofore of little or no concern. Slightly startled I see that familiar movement at the edges of my peripheral vision. He often comes to me this way, especially after times of long absence. My love, my teacher, my friend.

I assume he has been busy with his other students, as I am not arrogant enough to believe I'm his only one. I do wish at times his visits were not so brief, but being an excellent teacher his lessons are always conveyed with focused and efficient intent. Aloud I speak, “Ah, Shadow, welcome.” I know he heard a bit of dismay on my voice, as I am a little miffed at having been left to my own devices for so long without his guiding hand. I can almost see him smiling as he ducks around the tree out of sight for now. And isn't that a thought! Surprising because in all these many years I have never really seen Shadows face..

Excitement and anticipation are sprinkled with a garnish of apprehension. Apprehension because Shadows visits are sometimes painful, as my lessons reveal my fear to me, like the rising sun that I cannot escape from or make retreat to the other side of the horizon. I stand, taking a deep breath of resolve, ready for what may come.. I salute our Mother. I reach out from the porch and touch the gentle rain..

Ah, the rain.

No comments: