Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Short Reply To A Friend Post 2016 Election


Until Further Notice Kether Muse Will Have This Link At The Top Of All Posts
In Regard To Contacts And Information To Help At Standing Rock.
Information Added To That Page Regularly

Post image courtesy of Fractal Enlightenment

A friend tagged me on a Facebook post after the election wherein she shares her optimistic and spiritual focused pathway for the future as she sees it. In the first sentence she uses the words “strangely activated” and continues on to express a positive focused agenda of what she dedicates herself to do.

I identify with her words “strangely activated”. I have felt this for a while now as can seen from some of my previous posts on my page such as recently making a signed peace pledge meme rededicating myself to peace work. Although fundamentally non-violent I am not a pacifist and I have realized this for a long time. I am more of a revolutionary. The last few years I have been fairly idle and somewhat reclusive but for a while now I have been feeling uneasy about being this way, increasingly intensified with the recent presidential elections and the unacceptable events occurring at the Standing Rock reservation in North Dakota. I have had many a talk with my dearest confidants about how to shake off the cobwebs and the dust and get more involved in working for societal change.

As of late my outlet has been reading history and adding information to my website on revolution, feminism, voting rights, the Constitution and beyond. In reading these things I see that the election of Donald J. Trump as the new President of the United States has shades of history wrapped all around it. Past is prologue. I have seen how Americans for the most part have short memories when it comes to history. I have felt a bit fearful for the millennials as their entire adult lives they have only known war. The baby boomers are on a steady decline in our society. And those who came at the end of that generation (like myself) who watched the chaos of the Vietnam War the race riots of the 60s and the onslaught of the rise of American foreign policy of regime change view the election of Donald Trump though different eyes.

His populist message of draining the swamp of the corruption in congress and beyond itself is nothing new. The rhetoric of “America First” too is not new but resonates with many with fear as their core emotion rather than hope. As a result of this fear is the marriage the "otherness" as a way to come to grips with this feeling of disenfranchisement and it's causes. And our new president has used this very well in this election acting as the minister conducting the ceremony of this union and as was said by Saul Bellow. "When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice." And Trump has served well as this accomplice.

This is written as a brief response to my friend who asks, “What do you choose to stand for today?!?” Well my dear A.M. I see the “embracing of otherness” as a fundamental element in all that is wrong with the world. It fuels war. It hinders environmental progress. In frustration many say like Alvin Lee expressed in 1971, “I'd love the change the world but I don't know what to do. So I'm leaving it up to you.” (and unfortunately millennials after the loss of Bernie Sanders have seemed to adopt this attitude) Using the phrases of the past struggles and revolutions for justice to me are never passé. I will continue to use those phrases. I will say the Metta as a daily ritual. As I read your post I recall the the words of John F. Kennedy. “If not us, who? If not now, when?” We must hold our new president accountable to the proposition that "all men are created equal" to counter this otherness.

More to come. Please visit Kether Muse Main Website.

No comments: