Monday, June 5, 2017

Ode To The Vestal Virgins

Image: The Vestal Virgin Tuccia with a Sieve - Charles-JosephNatoire

Ode To The Vestal Virgins
Nino Kether ©
6-5-2017 

Oh sweet Vestal Virgins
Thank you for tending to the fire in my heart.
I know it is you that keeps my spark of life burning day by day.
Numa's eyes were keen the day he chose you oh Sisters Of The Hearth!

They thought they had extinguished the Sacred Fire
but we know you keep it alive by magic.
You are ordained by the Gods to do so
and mere humans have no real power over you.

Your beauty is rivaled by none.
Oh what you have sacrificed for us and the Gods
Sweet Virgin Sisters!
I know I could not do the same.
Do you cry at times at night
when you are alone with your thoughts?
Do you ever wish for a child and a mate of your own?
Does Vesta comfort your hearts and minds?

I wish I could enter your Temple
but I know I cannot.
So it is in my heart that I make
my offerings and sacrifices to you.
Please quench my thirst with
water from your Sacred Spring.
Oh that my hands were pure enough
to bring some to you.

Fuel the Sacred Fires
with my moral or spiritual weaknesses
as there is enough to last from birth to death.
All my sacred objects I also give to you.
Use them as you will.

I will gather rush, reed, and straw
So you may make the Argei
for my brothers and sister.
And if I be so blessed please take mine
and toss it in the river as sacrifice to the other Gods.
May the effigies purify Gaia and Cybele
that their blessing may flow to all.

I know you are married to the Gods
and your dress is plain and not presuming.
But if I could I would dress you in silk
and adorned you with precious gems
emeralds, sapphires and rubys set in gold.
Although the flashing colors of the opal is divine
they are not as colorful as the rainbows in your eyes
nor as bright and captivating.

I feel weak and see Mors in the corners of my eyes at times
A spectral image for now but soon I know he comes.
Sweet Virgin Sisters I wish for you to know
before he lays his hand on me
how much I am thankful for your grace.
I pray to you and for you.
May the Gods hear my prayers and bless my sacrifices.

May I ask one last favor of you my loves?
Will you take my hand when time arrives
and guide me to the Underworld
and share one last drink from your Sacred Spring?


Please Visit Kether Muse


No comments: