Saturday, November 1, 2014

Local Spotlight On Unfairness and Protest

Hello faithful readers. Today I wish to address a situation happening in my area that has, as I see it, numerous implications to us as a society. Where one stands on this issue depends much on ones own history and story. So as a mini prolog I will start with a bit of my own history to illustrate my position on the issue and why I chose to write about this today. The prolog may in itself be prolix I will try to be engaging as not to lose your interest and fair warning the last section of this narrative, wherein lies the main intent of this post, will be much more straightforward in it's dialog. I wonder now, is this first paragraph a prolog to the prolog?

When I was in Jr. High school it was a time of major social unrest and change. Protesting for a cause was coming into it's own all acrossAmerica. A time of vocal dissatisfaction with the established norms had reached social critical mass. We, as young rebels in training (as all teens are and always had been) took up the mantle of the current activism we saw on the news each night and applied it to our own angst within our peer group.

We applied the techniques of marching and holding signs and stormed the local school board offices with our still developing voices, loudly proclaiming our demands. At that time students could be expelled and reprimanded for the intolerable offenses of boys hair being over their ears or girls having skirts too short and, oh my god banish the thought, that a girl would wish to wear pants to school! And if a boy were found to have “hippie beads” visible under your shirt you were surly going to be ridiculed, ostracized and most likely considered a candidate for deprogramming therapy. Well look around and it will be obvious that our efforts were not in vain as we changed these archaic norms in our school and that effort has expanded exponentially, like the rice on a chessboard
over the years. Some may argue that was a bad thing but we will leave that for another discussion. Now edging toward the point of this post  a bit more of my personal history of those days.

I had a 9th grade algebra teacher whom I shall call J.C. (his real initials for those of who may be my friends reading this). Now J.C was a young man not much more than 10 years older than his students. He was a much loved teacher and engaged with us on a level not seen in the other teachers of the time. He understood us and had a way of connecting that made him seem more a friend than an educator. Over the course of time his teaching style, his closeness with the students and his own personal openness and familiarity with us became a major concern for the powers that be, as they felt he was a direct threat to the type of control they wished to hold over us. In brief they moved to have him dismissed and even take his license away from him. And we, as his his loyal charges, took up our protests on his behalf. Unfortunately, in this instance, our efforts were in vain. He was fired and removed. Eventually this man became one of my best friends, for a while a roommate and my mentor as a carpenter which led me on to a long career as such. Now this is a story in itself too.

Okay, now to it. Currently there is a situation coming to a head nearby that struck at my heart and sensibilities that is causal to this particular post. There is a teacher named Clay Hatfield at Eagle High School in Idaho that is being threatened for removal as a teacher under circumstances that, to me and others, seem totally out of line in the possible consequences in relation to the “offense”. Those of you who know me know I have a acute sense for fair play and justice. So this has struck a nerve.

Rather than attempting to rewrite what has already been articulated well I would like you to read the article submitted by our local news paper. You can read about >> here <<

Please take note and go to his supporters Facebook Page and listen to the video made by them to gain a better understanding of how they feel and receive a clearer explanation of the charges against him than the news article gives us.

In closing. Good teachers are hard to find. Don't let them be thrown them away by those kowtowing to some ambiguous politically correct notions that may be archaic in their origins. So I invite you to support the efforts to save Clay Hatfield from this unnecessary injustice. And while I have your ear, teachers should be paid better so vote for those who also believe this. Work for Peace!

No comments: